Best Epilator Reviews 2018
The average woman wastes 58 days of their life shaving. Thankfully, you are already looking at a much better solution – epilating. Epilating gives you the best of everything – the silkiness of shaving and the long-lasting benefits of waxing, plus you don’t have to wait for your hair to grow out as long! Epilating is much quicker and far less messy that waxing, and with the right epilator, your hair removal sessions will be almost as quick as shaving!
Table Of Contents
- 1 Product Reviews
- 2 Braun Silk- épil 9 9-961V Women’s Epilator
- 3 Braun Face 851 Women’s Miniature Epilator
- 4 Panasonic Shaver & Epilator ES-ED90
- 5 Philips Satinelle Advanced Wet & Dry
- 6 Emjoi Soft Caress Epilator
- 7 Emjoi AP-18 Emagine
- 8 Facial Advanced Cleansing 5-in-1 (with epilator attachment)
- 9 Remington Smooth & Silky Facial Epilator
- 10 Choosing Your Epilator
- 11 How Do I Reduce Discomfort During Epilating?
- 12 Will Epilating Cause Ingrown Hairs?
- 13 How Does Epilating Compare To Waxing?
- 14 Where Can I Epilate?
- 15 Conclusion
If you would like to know more about choosing the right epilator, take a look at our buying guide below first.
Braun Silk- épil 9 9-961V Women’s Epilator
The Braun Silk- épil 9 gives you everything you could want from an epilator and much more. This set not only includes a fantastic epilation head which removes hair that is 4 times shorter than you can remove with wax, but it also comes with 12 extra pieces! You can remove hair, prevent ingrown hairs, shave and even give yourself a deep massage, all with just one kit!
What Is Included?
In addition to the hand-held device, this complete 4-in-1 system gives you the epilator head, a shaver-head and trimmer cap, a deep exfoliation brush, a gentle exfoliation brush, a deep body massage head, as well as two protection caps, an efficiency cap and a precision cap. It also has a charging stand, power cord and a cleaning brush. And you don’t need to be worried about losing any of these parts because it also comes with a bag to keep it all in!
All of the features on this epilator have been dermatologically tested. The epilator head is 40% wider than other Braun epilators, meaning it captures more hairs on the first pass and it works well wet or dry. Its 40 tweezers, which work at 2 different speed settings. Its 12 extras mean that it is a complete, 4-in-1 pamper package that tones, shaves and exfoliates your skin in addition to epilating your unwanted hair.
- Waterproof – you can use the Silk-épil on dry skin, or on wet skin – even in the bath or shower, where the warmth of the water can make your skin less sensitive. If you use it regularly in the shower or bath, you will find that your hair removal will become virtually painless.
- Exfoliation brushes – there are two brushes which you can use for exfoliation. The gentle exfoliation is great for use on more sensitive areas of your body, even places where you do not intend to epilate, such as your chest. On the other hand, the deep body exfoliation brush can be used before and in between epilation sessions to remove dead skin cells and reduce and prevent ingrown hairs. This deep exfoliation brush head is 6 times more effective than just using a manual scrub for the same job.
- Massage head – using this attachment will give you a noticeably deeper massage than a conventional body brush. This will give you increased circulation which in turns means you can visibly improve your skin tone and appearance.
- Smartlight – this helps you see more clearly where the hairs are, so you don’t miss them. It is great for highlighting finer and fairer hairs which you may not otherwise notice during your epilation session but will show up in sunlight. It means you can be extremely thorough in getting the smooth skin you crave.
- Pivoting head – the human body is not a flat surface; it is made up of many curves, creases and contours which can make hair removal trickier. This Silk-épil has a pivoting head which adapts to the contours of your body so that your hair removal session is more efficient and more comfortable. It enables you to target harder-to-reach areas such as your underarm and knee.
- Pulsating Vibration – as you use you Silk-épil, it will lightly vibrate to soothe your skin and reduce any discomfort you may feel. This is great for those with sensitive skin and those who are new to this type of hair removal method.
- Shaver function – if you prefer to shave more sensitive areas you can simply swap to the shaver attachment. Alternatively, if you just want to trim your hair before epilating, you can add on the trimmer head. We suggest doing this before epilating areas which are more sensitive as epilating longer hairs can cause you more discomfort.
- Precision/efficiency heads – these caps fit over the epilation head. The efficiency cap enables maximum skin contact with the device so that you miss fewer hairs, while the precision cap limits the epilation surface for more smaller and more sensitive areas.
- Extra-wide head – the epilation surface of this model is 40% wider than that on other Braun models, so you can remove more hair in a single stroke, making your epilation time much more efficient.
Ease Of Use
We just love how easy this Silk-épil 9 is. Simply click on the attachment head you want and get going, you’ll be silky-smooth in no time at all. Once you are done, you can easily clean your epilator – it comes with a little brush to dust away the hairs, plus it is fully washable so can even be cleaned under running water.
It is not hard to see why we love this Silk- épil from Braun. What more could you ask for from an epilator? It contains everything you need for effective, long-lasting hair removal, and once you are done, it is simple to clean! You can be hair free for up to four weeks, and easily touch it up, because this model removes hair as small as a grain of sand!
This is a great option if you are new to epilating, or if you have sensitive skin because it enables you to epilate in the shower or bath, where the warmth of the water will soothe your skin.
Braun Face 851 Women’s Miniature Epilator
The Braun Face 851, also known as the FaceSpa, is a great little kit which helps you stay hair free. It is designed for use on facial hair, to maintain your eyebrows, chin, upper lip and forehead as needed. It is fast and efficient at removing even the finest hairs, yet it treats your skin gently.
What Is Included?
In addition to the handheld device, you will get the epilator head, protective cap, four facial brushes – a normal brush, extra-sensitive brush, exfoliation brush and beauty sponge, as well as a brush to clean the device. It all fits neatly into the carry pouch. This device requires 1 x AA battery, which you will get included in your kit.
This battery-powered FaceSpa gives you a 2-in-1 treatment device which offers you precise facial epilating with deep, yet gentle, pore cleansing – the world’s first device like this! Its elegant design is discrete and easy to use and easy to carry around and take away with you, so it is practical as well as attractive. It has 4 cleansing brushes, and you can easily replace these after a few months to keep it hygienic.
- Efficient plucking motion – there are 10 micro-openings on the epilation surface, which rotate to give 200 plucking motions per second, meaning it is far more rigorous than tweezing, saving you a great deal of time. It removes the hairs from the roots, giving you silky-smooth skin for up to 4 weeks.
- Highly effective – the micro-openings can pick up even the finest hair down to 0.02mm, which you may not be able to get hold of with many regular sets of tweezers.
- Sonic facial brushes – you can use the facial brush or sensitive brush head to cleanse your face deeply. Not only does it clean your skin 6 times more effectively than cleaning with your hands, but it cleanses pore-deep, removing makeup and impurities and leaving you with a smooth and clear complexion.
- Bi-directional – you can choose which direction the epilation openings rotate, so it doesn’t matter whether you are left or right handed, or which side of your face you want to treat.
- Suitable for sensitive skin – the brush has been tested by dermatologists to be used daily on sensitive skin. You’ll want to give it longer between treatments for the epilation though!
- Portable – simply pop on the protective cap, slip it in the carry pouch and you can take it with you anywhere. You don’t need to worry about end-of-holiday stubble or sun cream-induced spots; you can keep up with your clear skin routine throughout your entire trip if you want to.
- Battery powered – you don’t need to worry about trailing cables across to your bathroom mirror or waiting for it to charge, all you need is 1 AA battery, and one is supplied in the kit. As you can’t charge it up though it may be worth taking a spare battery with you if you are going away.
- Easy to clean – it comes with a little cleaning brush which you can easily use to dust off the removed hair.
Ease Of Use
You can’t get much easier than this epilator. To switch between the epilation and brush settings just remove the one you don’t want from the device and screw on your preferred head. There is a switch on the handle for you to choose which direction the head rotates. This is a brilliant feature because it means it is easy to use whether you are left handed or right handed, and no matter which side of your face you are looking to treat.
It is a great benefit that this device is easily portable, but it does mean there are fewer parts than some of the body epilators offer. However, you still get a 2-in-1 system that can easily fit discretely in your handbag or suitcase. It fits comfortably in your hand, and you can handle it as you would mascara, which gives you excellent control and enables you to be extremely precise. Being battery-powered by a regular AA battery, there is no need for you to worry about finding an outlet to power it for your session.
The range of brushes is excellent. You can use the cleansing brush before your epilation to exfoliate and clean your skin, or as part of your daily skincare routine. It is extremely effective at removing makeup and impurities – 6 times more so than manual washing, so you will feel beautifully refreshed after using it. Using the brushes can even enhance the effects of any products you have afterwards.
This is a great device for keeping on top of those unwanted facial hairs. It is small and discrete yet incredibly effective, targeting even the finest of hairs. This won’t take up much room in your suitcase; in fact, it will even fit neatly into your handbag. The 2-in-1 design makes it even more versatile, giving you a great range of brushes, which can be used on your face and body. If you’re looking for an affordable but effective facial epilator, this is a brilliant model.
Panasonic Shaver & Epilator ES-ED90
The ES-ED90 from Panasonic is another great epilation system which is perfect if you have sensitive skin, as it uses hypoallergenic stainless-steel blades and foils. It also has 6 attachments ranging from a shaver head with an additional trimmer cap, to a pedicure buffer which removes hard skin on your feet keep them silky-smooth. It is a brilliant kit that helps you pamper even more of your body.
What Is Included
Along with the handheld device, you will get 6 attachments in this set – a shaver head, dual-disc epilation head, (smaller) gentle epilator head, epilator gentle cap, bikini come and pedicure buffer. It all comes with a convenient travel pouch so that you can remain hair free and smooth at home or away.
The combined features on this Panasonic epilator give you a versatile, highly effective hair removal solution, plus a foot buffer to get your feet silky-smooth. It has the greatest number of tweezers on the epilator head out of all the epilators we have looked at, so it removes more on the first pass. You can even use this one with your favourite shower gel to make your hair removable a bit more luxurious!
- 100% waterproof – this epilator is excellent at removing hairs whether you use it dry or wet. It is fully immersible so that you can use it in the shower or the bath. It is gentle whether you use it wet or dry, but if you have sensitive skin, you may find that warm water soothes the sensations.
- Use with products – you can even use your favorite shaving gel, foam or soap with this epilator. In fact, the foaming of products may reduce the discomfort you feel as you epilate.
- Dual-disc, epilator head – you have a very wide surface area for your epilating, meaning you can get a wider coverage area and therefore get your epilating done quicker. There are 48 tweezers in total, which gently but firmly lift your hair from the root.
- Pivoting epilator head – the ability to pivot 30⁰ forwards and backward means that it can adapt to your body contours, giving you neater hair removal and therefore a smoother finish for longer.
- Gentle epilator head – for some more sensitive areas of your body, such as your underarms and bikini area, you don’t want a wide epilation surface. The sensitive epilation head has a smaller epilation surface and is contoured to gently but thoroughly remove hair from these more delicate areas.
- Built-in LED light – the LED shines in front of the epilator and highlights the finer and fairer hairs that you may have otherwise missed.
- Hypoallergenic shaver – the shaver head has hypoallergenic blades and foil made of stainless steel. This gives you an extra sharp, extremely durable shaving surface which looks after sensitive skin and reduces the chance of you feeling any skin irritation from the shaving.
- Large shaver surface – the shaver has a large surface area, meaning you can shave even large areas such as your legs in no time at all. It even has a pop-up trimmer to capture stray hairs and trim more sensitive areas such as your bikini line. You can also slip the bikini comb over the top to comfortably trim your bikini area.
- Good for sensitive skin – the combination of the hypoallergenic shaver surfaces and the ability to use it in the bath, means this is a great option for people with sensitive skin. You also have the option for a gentler speed setting if you want to take it a bit easier.
- Easy to clean – simply rinse it under warm running water when you are done epilating.
- Pedicure buffer attachment – you can even use this device to gently buff away any dry and rough skin on your feet.
Ease Of Use
This device is very easy to use. The different heads attach and detach quickly, and the caps fit neatly over the top of them. The dual-disc epilation head covers a wide area and adapts to the natural contours of your body as you move along your skin’s surface collecting the hairs. The wide shaver head means you can shave large areas quickly, and the pop- up trimmer is a great addition.
This is a great complete system for hair removal, and a great option if you are also looking for a device to keep your feet feeling smooth. It comes with a great range of attachments and we love that you can use shaving products or soap with it to soothe the epilation sensations. It is a great option if you have sensitive skin but want to have more long-lasting hair removal.
Philips Satinelle Advanced Wet & Dry
This is Philips’ fastest epilation device, with more power and tweezing actions to remove even finer hairs. You can stay hair free for weeks, and you can use this model on your legs, arms, bikini and even your face. Plus, it’s a 2-in-1 device, meaning you can use a shaver on your more sensitive areas if you prefer, and it has 5 attachments in total to give you everything you need to stay smooth and silky.
What Is Included?
The set includes the handheld device, a shaving head with trimming comb, epilating head, facial area and delicate area caps and a cleaning brush. You also get a pouch to keep it all together in. The device is powered by a lithium-ion battery, which is also included and is rechargeable.
- Fast, efficient hair removal – with its 30mm (1.2 inch), extra wide epilator head and 32 catching points, the Satinelle Advanced will help you get rid of your unwanted hair in no time. It covers a larger area of your skin on a single stroke, meaning it grabs a greater number of hairs on the first pass yet doesn’t pull on your skin. This makes it efficient yet gentle.
- Unique, patented epilation system – as with all Philips epilation devices, the tweezers actually lift and gather up the hair, bringing them towards the catching point of the tweezers where they are pulled out. This patented design, along with the round ceramic discs means you get a closer epilation for longer-lasting results while being gentle on your skin.
- Remove very short hairs – the patented design catches hairs even as short as only 0.5mm (0.2 inches) long, so you don’t need to wait for your hairs to grow before you can touch up your smooth skin.
- Opti-light – helps you to see even the finest hairs, so you don’t miss them.
- Delicate area and facial epilation caps – the one with the smallest aperture is the facial cap, and the larger one is for delicate areas such as the bikini line or underarms.
- Shaving head and trimmer comb – for the areas you don’t want to epilate, you can swap the epilating head for the shaver head. The trimmer comb cap sits over the top of the shaver head so that you can trim and style areas such as your bikini area.
Ease Of Use
The Philips Satinelle Advanced is very simple to use. The heads easily click into place and the caps sit snuggly over the top. The s-shaped handle is designed to fit nicely in your hand and be comfortable to hold. This gives you complete control and the best reach no matter which area of your body you are treating. You will find you get the best results if you hold the device at a 90⁰ angle to the surface of your skin. It has an anti-slip grip so that you can get optimal use whether you choose to use it wet or dry.
The lithium ion battery will take just an hour and a half to charge fully but will give up to 40 minutes of operation time. You can give it a quick charge, though, which takes only 5 minutes to boost enough for a little longer of usage time. The patented ceramic disc system is extremely efficient and lifting and removing your unwanted hairs. There are two-speed settings you can choose from – if you are less tolerant of pain or have sensitive skin, then you can choose the slower speed.
Overall, this kit gives you what you need to get started on epilating. While it doesn’t have the extras that other body epilators have, it gives you a great selection of attachments to begin and maintain your hair removal. It is easy to use and simple to clean, plush you can easily pack it into the travel pound and discretely take it away with you.
Emjoi Soft Caress Epilator
The Emjoi Soft Caress is a luxurious epilator that boasts 36 tweezers which are plated with 24 karat gold! Not only does it remove hair efficiently and comfortably, but it also has antimicrobial protection against bacteria, meaning your epilator remains hygienic.
While it is not suitable for use with wet skin, it can still remove hairs of just 0.5mm in length and is gentle enough for your more sensitive areas. Your silky skin can last for up to 6 weeks with this epilator, but if you do want to take it away with you for touch ups or just in case, it is easily small enough to fit in your suitcase!
What Is Included?
In this set, you get the epilator, a massage attachment, travel pouch, cleaning brush and a loofa. It is a rechargeable device, so you also get the adapter and cable.
This epilator combines intuitive simplicity, with hygienic protection and modest luxury, giving you a device that is comfortable to hold, easy to use and gentle on your skin. You can use it both cordless and plugged-in, and you don’t need to worry if you have sensitive skin as the 24-karat gold-plated tweezers are hypoallergenic and will remove your unwanted hair quickly and efficiently, while the special Pain Reduction Technology reduces your discomfort.
- 24-karat gold-plated tweezers – this luxurious epilator gives you 36, patented tweezers to remove your hair quickly and comfortably. They can remove hair as short as only 0.5mm long and leave you hair free for up to 6 weeks!
- Pain reduction technology – the patented design reduces the discomfort you feel while you epilate. It is effective at removing hair from your legs, underarms and bikini line, and is even gentle enough to use it on your upper lip and chin!
- Massage finger – this attachment works alongside the pain reduction technology to reduce your discomfort even further.
- Use corded or cordless – you can use this epilator both plugged in and unplugged unlike other models of epilator which are often to just one of those options.
- Dual speed – the slower speed is perfect for getting used to epilating or for more sensitive areas, while the faster speed is better for when you just want to get it don’t quickly! You can easily switch between settings by sliding the button up or down.
- Hygienic – the epilator has antimicrobial protection. This protects it from the bacteria which could otherwise transfer to you while you are epilating when your pores are open.
- Hypoallergenic – it is a great choice if you have sensitive skin as this is a hypoallergenic design.
- Ergonomic design – unlike other models which are straight, this epilator has a curved design. That means that it feels comfortable in your hand with its soft touch grip, and the curved shape fits snugly against the contours of your body. The curved shape is especially good when you are using the epilator as awkward angles.
- Compact – you can very easily pop this epilator and its travel pound into your suitcase – it is a perfect option if you travel a lot or just want a small one.
Ease Of Use
You will find this epilator very easily to use. While it doesn’t have as many gadget attachments as other models we have reviewed, it makes it a lot easier to keep track of the parts and travel with. The speed settings are easily controlled by sliding the button up on the side and it feels comfortable in your hand.
You can use this epilator all over your body and even some areas of your face (such as getting the stray hairs on your upper lip or chin. We wouldn’t recommend using this one for your eyebrows!) While it has slightly fewer tweezers than other models we have reviewed, this makes it more suitable for the more sensitive areas of your body, such as your underarm and bikini. This is especially the case when you consider its patented “pain reduction technology” and the massage finger you can attach.
The curved design is a good solution for getting the awkward hairs when you are at difficult angles! It complements your natural curves and gets even the 0.5mm hairs. It is easy to clean with the included brush and the antimicrobial technology means you can rest assured, knowing that you are using a hygienic device.
It cannot be used in the bath or shower as it is not waterproof, but it can be used battery-powered and unplugged or plugged in, so you never have to wait for the battery to charge up.
Overall, if you are looking for an effective epilator that can be used both plugged-in or cordless, look no further. It may not have the ‘bells and whistles’ attachments the other models have, but it is still an extremely luxurious epilator, with its 24-karat gold tweezers and antimicrobial technology. We love how easily this epilator fits around your life, with the curved design and pain reduction technology, which gives you efficient, gentle hair removal which lasts for weeks.
Emjoi AP-18 Emagine
This advanced epilator boats the greatest number of tweezers of all the epilators we have reviewed here – a huge 72! Not only that, but it has patented “glide technology” which lifts your hairs to get a smoother finish and minimize any skin irritation. It was the first epilator in the world to have silver ion technology, which gives it anti-microbial protection, and it also has features to prevent ingrown hairs. You can have smooth skin for as long as 6 weeks with this model!
What is Included?
In this set, you will get the Emagine, its power cord and a cleaning brush. Unlike the other epilator’s we have discussed, it doesn’t come with other heads or attachments, but we think that it makes up for it in its design and the other features it boasts.
While it doesn’t have extra attachments included in this package, the Emjoi Emagine certainly makes up for it with the brilliant features it has! Its design gets even hairs as short as 0.5mm long, lifting the stubborn ones to remove them from the root and works to prevent ingrown hairs. You can even use it on some areas of your face. You get more hairs in fewer passes, so you skin is less irritated.
- Glide Technology – this patented design gives you a unique lifting finger in the middle of the tweezers which lifts the hair as you slide the epilator along your leg. This means that flat or shorter hairs are removed more efficiently while also reducing the chance of you getting ingrown hairs.
- Antimicrobial – this was the world’s first epilator to offer antimicrobial protection. It uses silver ion technology to reduce the risk of infection.
- Dual opposed staggered heads – these stretch your skin out so that your hairs are removed more efficiently and with less discomfort, making it more comfortable to use than some other epilators.
- 72 tweezers across 3 discs – this design has 1 fixed disc of tweezers and 2 which open and close. They are set along a 17mm (0.6 inches) opening. While this opening is smaller than others we have reviewed, it is designed to move smoothly over the natural contours of your body and will pick up more hairs on the first pass.
- Gentle – you can use the Emagine all over your body. It is even gentle enough to remove facial hair from your upper lip and chin. The dual speed is easily controlled so you can adapt to more sensitive areas.
Ease Of Use
This epilator is very simple to use. It doesn’t have lots of attachments and gadgets like other models have, but it still gives fantastic results because of the design of the unit. With is dual opposed, 72 tweezers, it can quickly and easily remove hair as short as 0.5mm (0.01 inch), meaning your skin can be smooth for up to 6 weeks.
This is a very versatile device, you can use it for your legs, body and even parts of your face, although we wouldn’t advise using it for your eyebrows. While it is a corded option, it means you won’t have to wait around for the battery to charge or worry about it losing power before you are finished.
If you have sensitive skin, this is a great device for you. The silver ion technology gives it antimicrobial technology, so this is a very hygienic epilator to choose. The dual speed control means you can easily adapt it for more sensitive areas and the Glide Technology enables it to remove the hairs without causing much irritation. You get more hair removed on the first pass, and we love the lifting fingers in the middle which lift the flat and short hairs for a smoother finish.
This is a very versatile epilator device. While it doesn’t have lots of gadgets, the design more than makes up for it and it still offers fantastic results that are long-lasting. Plus you don’t have to worry about losing parts, and because it is mains-powered, you don’t need to worry about it not having a charge when you need it most.
Facial Advanced Cleansing 5-in-1 (with epilator attachment)
As you can see from the name, this set is primarily a facial cleansing brush, but one of the 5 extra attachments is an epilator head. It has both an epilator and shaver head, to give you long-lasting hair removal which does not irritate your skin. It is portable, lightweight and convenient , and it also gives you a facial brush, massager and pedicure attachment for an all over pamper device..
What Is Included?
You get a complete pamper set in this kit. You get the handheld device with a facial cleansing brush, epilator head, lady shaver, massager and callus remover. It is rechargeable and so it also includes the power cable. The device features an anti-slip switch and a single-touch button to release the attached head to swap them over. It also tells you how much charge it is currently holding by the charging indicator.
- Close, effective epilation – the 9 pairs of tweezers get close to your skin at the optimum angle to remove hairs as short as only 0.5mm long.
- Deeply cleanse pores –the cleansing brush, which has hypoallergenic bristles, rotates in two directions. It can give you 8x the cleaning power in 1 minutes.
- Refresh your skin – using the massage head you can revive your skin by giving it a “nano microseismic” massage, using the soft touch massage head to wake up your skin from under the surface. The attachment massages 750 times per minute and aims to stimulate circulation and rejuvenate your skin. The surface is even infused with Japanese massage essence is suitable for sensitive skin.
- Stainless steel shaver attachment – the shaver head has an R-shaped design which will not damage your skin, along with cellular floating foil. It delivers the best cutting edge to give you a precise shave.
- Effective pedicure attachment – the roller also rotates to quickly but comfortably remove dry, dead skin from the soles of your feet and refresh them. It quickly removes calluses and leaves your feet soft and comfortable.
Ease Of Use
This is a very versatile device, and you can easily switch between attachments to quickly change its function. This complete system lets you prepare your skin, remove your hair and even give yourself a relaxing massage after. This 5-in-1 device can even pamper your feet, bringing the spa feeling to the comfort of your own home.
Changing the heads takes no time at all – there is a one-touch release button which loosens the attachment and then you can easily swap the head for your preferred one, which easily clicks into place on the handle. The charging point is located at the bottom of the handle, and there is an indicator to let you know how much charge it is holding.
The versatile, affordable system is a great kit to give you all you could possibly need for you pampering desires. It offers you a three-step hair removal routine – prepare, remove and soothe, plus you can use the shaver head for more sensitive areas, and even pamper your feet.
Remington Smooth & Silky Facial Epilator
The Remington Smooth and Silky epilator is specially designed to remove unwanted hair from your face, leaving you with smooth skin that lasts. It is compact, so you can easily take it away with you and it is powered by an AA battery, so you will have charge for a long time, without worrying about trailing cables across your bathroom!
What Is Included
In this set you get the Remmington facial epilator, a cap to protect the head when you are storing it or traveling and a brush to clean it. It requires 1 AA battery, one of which is included in the set. Sure, this isn’t as diverse as other kits available, but if you are simply looking for a facial epilator and are not worried about cleansing brushes or pedicure attachments, then this is the one for you.
This facial epilator is a simple, intuitive design. It doesn’t have extra attachments for you to worry about changing or even losing, but it gives you a simple and effective way of removing your unwanted facial hair. Being powered by just an AA battery means that the charge should last a long time and when it does run out, it is easy to find a replacement battery, wherever you are in the world!
- Automatic tweezers – the Remington Smooth & Silky features 6 rotating tweezers, which quickly rotate to remove your unwanted hair.
- Easy to maintain – the protective cap shields the epilator surface when you are storing it or when it is traveling with you in a suitcase. The included cleaning brush enables you to simply dust off the removed hairs to prevent it getting clogged.
- Cordless – no need to wait for it to charge, or trail cables through your bathroom. You don’t need to worry about travel adapters when you go away either. All you need is 1 AA battery, and one is included in the kit already. To be a bit more economical though you could buy a rechargeable AA battery.
- Compact design – although it does not come with a carry bag, this epilator is easily portable. Pop on the protective cap and it will fit discretely in your handbag.
Ease Of Use
This facial epilator is very easy to use. You don’t need to switch heads, just pop the battery in and you are ready to go. The on-off switch is comfortably on the handle, simply slide it up and it turns on. There is only one speed, but the performance is precise.
If you are looking for a simple to use, easy to maintain yet effective facial epilator, then this is a great model for you. It may not have the added extra heads and gizmos that some of the other brands and models have, but it is discrete, portable and gives great results.
Choosing Your Epilator
Choosing an epilator needn’t be a difficult task, but there are a great deal available and it can be overwhelming at first. To help you decide, we have compiled a list of considerations you should have when deciding which epilator to buy.
What Part Of Your Body Are You Going To Use It For?
As you have seen from our reviews, you can get epilators for your body or for your face. Most people tend to use epilators just on their legs, but if you want to use it on more sensitive areas such as the bikini line, make sure you choose one with attachments for sensitive areas.
Some models, like the Philips Satinelle Advanced, have a cap to fit over the body epilation head to limit the area, so that is it more gentle on your skin. Others provide a separate head for more sensitive areas, for example, the Panasonic ES-ED90 comes with a smaller epilation head for more sensitive areas, and some people use this for their face, although it is designed to be used for delicate areas such as the underarms and bikini line.
If you only want to use the epilator on your face, or if that is one of your key concerns, it is best to buy one which was designed specifically for use on the face. This is because body epilators can sometimes be too harsh on your more delicate facial skin. The Braun 851 is a great choice for epilating your face, and you get the added bonus of cleansing brushes in this kit.
Should I Go For Wet Or Dry?
If you have sensitive skin or a low pain threshold, then you may find that epilating in the bath or shower is more comfortable because your pores will be more open and therefore the hairs will come out easier. Plus, you will probably be more relaxed. Some models, such as the Panasonic ES-ED90 can even be used with shower gels, soaps or shaving foam, and you may find that the foaming sensation of the product soothes your skin.
On the other hand, some people find they get a better finish if they epilate dry. This may be because the hairs are less slippery and therefore easier to get hold of.
By choosing an epilator that can be used wet or dry, you have the option to adapt. Start off with wet epilating while you get used to the sensation and then if you want you can try dry epilating.
How Many Tweezers?
The benefit of having more tweezers is that you can get results a lot quicker. That, of course, comes with the trade-off that you will feel more discomfort because more hairs are being removed at once. Generally, though, the epilators with a larger number of tweezers will come with a cap to reduce the number of available tweezers. That way you can still slowly get yourself used to the sensation, and once you become a seasoned pro at epilating, you will appreciate the speed at which you can whip those hairs out!
How Do I Reduce Discomfort During Epilating?
If you are worried about feeling pain, there are a number of features you can look out for to reduce any discomfort. Don’t forget though that over time you should notice that your discomfort at each epilating session reduces –this may be due to your hair growing back thinner, your technique improving or you simply are more used to it and relaxed, among other reasons.
- Waterproof epilator – choose a wet/dry epilator that you can use in the shower or bath. You are more relaxed when you are bathing, and the warmth can open up your pores. Don’t have the water too hot though or it can dry out your skin.
- Choice of speed settings – a slower setting is more gentle on your skin. The option to choose the speed the tweezers rotate means that you can choose the slower setting on more sensitive areas.
- Use with products – models such as the Panasonic Ed-EDE90 can be used with foam, soap or gel, and you may find that the foaming of the product soothes your skin.
- Attachments – many models come with attachments that are specifically designed to reduce your discomfort. For example, some have massage rollers which roll immediately in front and behind the tweezers to soothe your skin. Other attachments include caps which limit the opening to the tweezers.
- Pulsing feature – similar to the massage attachments, the gentle vibration from pulsating epilators can soothe your skin and reduce discomfort.
In addition to choosing an epilator with some of these features, there are things you can do to reduce any discomfort. Make sure you aren’t in a rush. Whenever you want to epilate, you don’t want to be in a rush. Choose a time where you can pause if it gets too much.
Watch television or listen to music as you do it – something that can distract you from the sensations but not completely take your attention away. Exfoliate before, not after you epilate. This will remove any dead skin cells and leave your skin refreshed.
If you choose to epilate dry, make sure your skin is completely dry, and you don’t have any creams or lotions on your skin. Finally, don’t have your hair too long. Epilators can pick up hairs much shorter than the ones picked up by waxing, so you don’t need to let them grow out to the same length. If your hairs are too long, they can begin to wrap around the tweezers before getting pulled out, meaning you will feel discomfort for longer. A simple solution to prevent this is trim your hair slightly before using the epilator.
Will Epilating Cause Ingrown Hairs?
As epilating removes hairs from the root, beneath the skin surface, there is a chance that you will get ingrown hairs as they grow back. Some people seem to be more prone to them than others. Don’t let this put you off epilating though; the benefits sure do outweigh it.
To prevent ingrown hairs, make sure that you exfoliate regularly. Some epilators, such as the Braun Silk-épil, have a body exfoliating brush attachment which you can use. If you choose a model without, you can instead use a regular body scrub – we recommend a scrub with natural exfoliants such as St Ives, which uses apricot kernels you can buy St Ives from Amazon here. Alternatively, you can buy exfoliating brushes which are designed for this purpose.
You don’t want to over-exfoliate though – once, maybe twice a week should be sufficient. Do so before you just epilate and then again after a few days.
How Does Epilating Compare To Waxing?
There are many similarities between epilating and waxing. They are both long-term methods of hair removal that pull out hairs from the root, leaving you hair-free for as long as 4 weeks. There are a number of differences though, for example:
- Epilating works out much cheaper over time. It has an upfront cost, with very little ongoing expenses. Sure, when you first buy an epilator, it can set you back roughly between $60 and $250 dollars, and realistically the better ones are more expensive. But once you have it, other than the electricity to charge it or batteries to power it, you don’t need to spend any more money. Waxing, on the other hand, requires money per session, even if you do it yourself.
- Epilating does not remove dead skin. Unlike waxing, which removes the outer, dead layer of your skin, epilating only pulls out the hair. This means it is suitable for people who are taking certain drugs such as Accutane, who cannot wax because their skin is more delicate.
- They both last a long time. As both waxing and epilating remove hair from the root, you can be hair free for weeks. The rate of hair growth will be different from person to person, but you are sure to stay smooth for much longer if you choose either method compared to shaving.
- Epilating doesn’t require long hairs. Modern epilators can pick hairs which are much shorter, compared to waxing which requires hairs to be at least ¼ inch (6mm). That means you can touch up your hairs sooner with epilating, so there’s no need to wait around with stubble.
- Waxing may be slightly more comfortable at first. By putting warm wax on your skin, which is soothing and opens pores, you may find that waxing is less uncomfortable than epilating. However, as you get more used to epilating and your hairs grow back finer, you will probably notice that you feel less and less discomfort.
- Epilating is more convenient. In addition to being able to touch up regrowth sooner, you can easily travel with an epilator. They are lightweight, fit discretely into your bag and doesn’t create any mess.
- Epilating is less messy. With an epilator, other than the dusting of hairs you have removed, there is no mess. You don’t need to worry about getting remnants of wax stuck to your clothes or cleaning up leftover wax that has trailed over your bathroom counter. You won’t feel at all sticky after an epilating session.
Where Can I Epilate?
Can I Epilate My Face?
Yes, you can, but choose one that is specifically designed for facial hair. Facial epilators have features such as the ability to rotate in two directions and generally have fewer tweezers so that you can be more precise with your shaping. Many body epilators have a smaller head or cap which reduces the epilating surface, but a specifically-designed facial epilator will be far more gentle on your face. Plus, it will be shaped so that you can reach the hairs easier.
However, men’s facial hair is a lot denser and thick than women’s. Therefore, if you are a man, you will find that epilating your face will be a lot more painful.
Can I Epilate My Bikini Line?
Yes, you can. Remember though that you will probably feel more discomfort when epilating your bikini line. This is partly because the skin is more sensitive and partly because the hair is thicker. We would advise using an attachment which reduces the epilation surface for your bikini line. While this will mean it takes a little longer is it kinder to your skin.
Remember to exfoliate before and then again a few days after epilating your bikini line. This area can be more prone to getting ingrown hairs. You may also want to trim your hair slightly before epilating your bikini line. Work on smaller sections at once and keep your skin taut.
Does Epilating Hurt?
As you are pulling hairs from the pores, not just trimming the surface hair, you should expect to feel some discomfort. It is difficult to estimate how much you will feel as different people feel and tolerate pain differently. Certain areas such as the underarms, bikini and around the ankles may also be more sensitive than others.
If you are a lifelong shaver, you may experience more discomfort when you switch to epilating than someone who is a regular waxer, although even if you are used to waxing, you may notice a difference in sensation because warm wax opens your pores. Wherever you start though, it is worth persevering as you should notice that after your first few sessions your discomfort should ease.
You should now have a better understanding of epilating and which model you should go for. There are lots of considerations to make – epilating wet or dry, a design for your body or just your face. Epilating is a fantastic way to stay hair free for weeks. While it has many of the benefits of waxing, the clincher for us to decide between the waxing and epilating is how you don’t have to wait for the hair to grow out as long in between sessions. If you want to know more about epilating, or other long-term hair removal options, take a look at our blog. Happy epilating!