Laser and IPL treatments are both very popular forms of permanent hair removal. IPL, which stands for intense pulsed light, uses broad spectrum light, instead of a laser. Many individuals are stuck on deciding which hair removal service to choose. They are both equally great hair removal services. They are both effective with removing hair and other than the light source, they both use similar techniques.
If you are fed up with shaving, then you should consider permanent hair removal. These methods have both been proven to be very effective solutions to keeping smooth and hairless skin for a long period of time. While IPL and laser are the top hair removal options, it’s important to know their differences and what they can offer you. They are both safe and quick procedures that will leave your skin smooth for months.
If you are being treated at a salon, permanent hair removal can get expensive, but there are ways of reducing your costs like buying an at-home hair removal kit. Regardless, it is an expense you will be glad to have paid when you see the results! In the long run, you are likely to save a lot of money, not to mention the time you no longer have to spend shaving.
In this article, we are going to help you decide which hair reduction method is best for you by showing you the differences between the two options.
IPL is a popular hair removal treatment that helps kill the hairs, so they don’t come back. Unlike laser hair removal, IPL does not use a laser light source but instead uses a broad spectrum high-intensity light that emits light at multiple wavelengths. While laser devices emit one single focused wavelength to maximize follicle absorption, IPL covers larger patches of hair. IPL is like using a strong light bulb and is usually cheaper than laser treatments.
IPL works best for those with dark hair, as those with darker and thicker hair absorb the light a lot better so the results will show better. It is a highly effective way to remove hair permanently, but because it is not as concentrated, it may require more treatments than laser hair removal to get the same results.
- It is less painful than other hair removal methods.
- The strong light quickly destroys the root of the hair.
- You won’t have to worry about timing treatments and your hair growing back
- It is very precise, affecting the hair not the skin
- Treatments do not take much time
- More affordable than laser hair removal
- Not effective on white, light, or grey hairs.
- Can get a bit expensive, (but you can cut costs by treating yourself at home)
What Is Laser Treatment?
The main difference with the laser is that it produces a single precise wavelength of light that will go a bit deeper into the skin to kill the base of the hair follicles. The machine will produce individual little zaps that target a specific hair rather than a large group all at once. It is a narrow beam that is targeted precisely at the hairs intended for elimination. This treatment tends to be the quickest and most efficient form of hair removal due to the heat and intensity of a single laser.
Laser hair removal uses a type of concentrated energy, which is attracted straight towards the pigment of the hair. The laser treatment works best with those who have darker or coarse hair but can still work effectively for most hair colors. Laser treatments can be used to target areas such as your face, bikini line, and all the smaller or more precise areas of the body. It may be the more expensive option, but it is completely worth the investment. Individuals will experience long-lasting results with laser.
- Often permanent reduction after fewer treatments
- Can be more suited to those with darker skin
- Doesn’t work as well on those who have very light hair or thin hair
- The laser can get extremely expensive
Laser vs IPL
Many can argue that laser is the better choice. However, they both have similar results. The laser and IPL treatments use a similar concept, with different technology. The IPL is a less intense treatment but still creates impressive results. Either way, patients will get to enjoy life hardly ever having to shave ever again.
Both hair reduction methods are great choices but choose the treatment you think fits your needs best whether that budget or the type of hair you have. Here is a comparison of the two:
- IPL is a more affordable option but may require more treatments
- Lasers are more precise because they are more specific at targetting individual hairs
- Each pulse of the laser takes a fraction of a second, so treatment times are fast
- Both can treat the same areas
- Both have different settings and can be adjusted to suit patient’s specific needs
- IPL attacks larger sections at once
- Being more precise may mean laser is more suited to treating darker skin tones
Choosing Which Hair Removal Treatment Is Best
As you decide which hair removal method is best for you, consider your hair type and skin tone. Also, consider the area you are having done and how long it will take. How long are you hoping to wait before seeing results? Are you willing to have more treatments because they each cost less? Ultimately both methods have their benefits, and are effective at removing hair and allowing individuals to stop shaving!
We have compared 6 leading laser & IPL hair removal devices, see our review here: https://www.oglf.org/best-home-laser-hair-removal/